Tuesday, June 7, 2011

On the Home Stretch.

What a crazy past two weeks it has been.  With my parents in town, hitting the 2/3 mark of my time here in Costa Rica, and as the work piles up as we try to complete the project by the end of July, it has been a trying period to stay organized, manage time, and get the things that need to get done, done.

My parents came to visit!  What a blessing it was to spend a few days with them and share with them some of the familiarities of my life, right now.  Taking them to 'hole-in-the-wall' restaurants, being their translator, as they do not speak any english, helping them get acquainted with the Latin American culture, are just a few of the fun and exhausting experiences we had.

I had the opportunity to take a day off and travel to Guanacaste, located in Northern Costa Rica.  We went to a few beaches, enjoyed some great fish, went snorkeling, endured a incredible amount of rain [at times 1.5 feet on the roads--which seemed more like rivers], and my dad even spoiled me and got me a surfing lesson!!  As many of you know, I LOVE snowboarding--I can never seem to get away from it--so what better than to try surfing.  I found it to be a difficult task, but take a look--I even got up a few times:





Last Thursday my parents came down to Atenas and my host family had them over for dinner--talk about an exhausting night.  As my host parents practiced a little bit of their english, I was responsible for translating anything that wasn't understood.  It was a blessing to be where I am at with Spanish to be able to have conversations. At times I would start talking to my parents and it would be in Spanish, shortly after realizing that my parents had NO idea what I was saying--embarrassing. BUT, how amazing that I don't even have to think anymore--it has been a huge blessing.

Have reach a conversational level of speaking Spanish, this has allowed for more opportunities to relate with the people throughout the community.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to accompany a fellow intern and we went out into the park to find someone to strike up a conversation. Simply to talk, get to know them, introduce ourselves and let them know what we are doing here in Atenas.  As we talked with a few people it wasn't as awkward as i thought it would be.  My initial thoughts were of fear, judgement of man, embarrassment. but as we just had conversations with people it was so, comfortable.  We had the opportunity to talk about Christ. Sharing who He is and what He had done in our lives.  My thoughts soon vanished and I cannot wait to go out and do it again. The awkwardness is quickly taken away when the person realizes you can speak at their level--I find this parallel to Paul's statements in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23:

"Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to may win those under the law. To those no having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

As the weeks start rolling into the finish, pray that God would give us opportunities to become like those around us, [not of the world but IN the world] so that we may share the gospel of Christ and its blessings to the community of which we have been put in.

Also, please pray for financial support. As my time comes to an end I still have finances that need to be filled. I have yet to look to the finish line of my work here in Costa Rica and I know that our God provides for whatever we need, wherever He has us, IF we are obedient to Him. If you would like to support Christ's mission that I have embarked on click the "How to Donate" tab at the top and follow 1-2-3. If you would like to do it through mail, contact me [which I would love anyways] and I will help you out with anything needed.

It has been my pleasure to continue sharing with you the work that God is doing here in the Community of Atenas, as well as throughout Central and South America as I serve with EMI to help build hope into people's lives that they might know to come and love the God and Savior for whom I serve so diligently.

In Christ's unfailing and everlasting love,

P. Grant Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment