Thursday, February 24, 2011

Do. Work.

Well the project trip to Mexico is over. What a great time and an amazing learning experience.  We were able to complete most of the preliminary and conceptual design work. Now the real work begins. As myself and Andrew [the other intern I'm working with] settle into our workspace we now have the pleasure of working with the architects and engineers for the project now in the states.  We are responsible for coordinating and completing the design work.  This includes construction documents, final 3D models, site surveying, diagrams showing electrical and mechanical work for the building.  This work will last us until the end of July.  I admit, though tedious and demanding at times, I love what I am doing.
Hard at Work!

It was a great experience this past week. All 10 volunteers from the states did a fantastic job at figuring out the solutions to many difficult design issues.  It was amazing to watch everyone interact and see the building fall into place.  What is more amazing is seeing the ministry we partner with active within the design and their grateful hearts for the work we were doing.
Dinner in Playa del Carmen for a debrief.

At the end of the week once we had completed our work and presented the schematic designs to the ministry I had the opportunity to talk with Gayla Congdon [the founder of Amor ministries].  It was evident that the work we had been doing was more than just a building.  Starting Amor ministries in 1980, Gayla had a vision. A vision to eradicate spiritual and physical poverty. To see this vision grow exponentially with the design of a new language and theology school with retreat and technology center was beyond her dreams.  Upon completing our conversation and hearing the thankfulness and gratitude exuding from her heart, she walked away with a tremble. And behind her dark sunglasses it was evident that the holy spirit was moving as a tear or two was shed, as a vision, that was simply a dream, was followed by obedience, was beginning to become real, becoming tangible.

It is moments like that, that I can hear God's voice.  It is moments like that, that I stand in reverence and awe at God's sovereignty, that I can experience God's story unfold in such a miraculous way.  Every day here in Costa Rica, I am constantly challenged, whether through the language, the relationships, the work, our daily prayer times to open the day, I am daily reminded why I am here and that God has me exactly where he wants me.

I won't lie, upon my return from Mexico I began to realize that I have been traveling for over two months, with the longest time in Costa Rica, only 3 weeks.  The reality that I will be here for 5 more months seems to be finding its way through. It's difficult not to miss the comforts in the states. As things become more familiar and the daily routine begins to seem quite regular, know that I am still in prayer for all of you back home. God is working here. He is doing things I can't imagine. With the design of this educational facility many many lives will be reached and changed.  I am encouraged daily through the 'pokes' on facebook, or a simple little note here and there; know those make a huge difference in my life.--

I apologize for the lengthiness of this blog but I feel that God's story should never be cut short. However, I will leave you with a passage that has been on my heart the past week or so:

Worship and devotions.




The LORD is compassionate and gracious, 
   slow to anger, abounding in love.

For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
   so great is his love for those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
   so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

Praise the LORD, my soul.


Psalm 103: 8, 11-12, 22


Lastly, as time ticks by here in Costa Rica, so do finances.  Though here in Costa Rica, I am still in need a large sum of financial support.  With a goal of $9,000 to be met I am slightly over $5,000.  The work for this ministry, though God's work, also takes God's resources.  If you would love to help support me, or continue supporting the work God is doing through my time here in Costa Rica, as myself and eMI help the vision of Amor Ministries to eradicate spiritual and physical poverty become more tangible visit https://emisecure.org/donate.html in the 'designation' box enter Grant Larsen-2851.


I pray that you continue to be inspired through this blog as I attempt to capture glimpses of God's amazing story of redemption and restoration.


In Christ's Love,


P. Grant Larsen


email me!!


plarsen@emilatina.org

-or-

pgrantlarsen.cr@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. Good Word, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you around Advancement! Keep up the great work as God works in and through you. Looking forward to hearing the stories when you return!

    Bonnie Bienert

    ReplyDelete