Monday, July 4, 2011

Conquered!

We did it!  After 9 hours of hiking we summited Mt. Chirripó.  Standing over 3820 m [12,530 ft], the tallest point in Costa Rica, hiking just over 19.6 km [ about 12 miles] we made it! In total we hiked 42 km [26 miles] in 15.5 hrs.


We started the trek at 4:30 am Friday July 2.  Waking up from the hostel that was located just 50 m below the trail head we all suited up with all our gear that contained everything from food, warm clothes, med kits, head lamps, sleeping bag, etc., we would need for the next two days out on the trail.  As we headed up the trail, trudging through the thick mud that the morning horses had softened up, I started to realize the task at hand.  It was our goal to get to base, another 14.5 m, on day one.  From there we would decide to continue further and attempt to summit or hold off until sunday morning.

The steep trail, full of mud, rocks, and various other obstacles made for a tough ascent that left us gasping for air at times.  As we ascended the mountains, valleys, and passes, the trail and pain in my muscles was quietly soothed and forgotten about as my focus was on the views.

Throughout the trail we climbed hills such as "Mount without Faith", "Water's Climb", "Old Man's Beard", "The Burns", and worst of all, "The Repentance."

Arriving at base about 11 am and 14.5 km later, we decided to sit down for a while, hydrate, and rest our feet.  After resting up, I took a short 15 min nap, fixed up the many blisters my feet endured from the climb, we decided to see if we could summit Mt. Chirripó, with another 5.1 km climb.  Part way down the trail it began to drizzle a bit and we decided to call it a day. Wisdom over pride.  The decision: wake up at 2 am and head for summit tomorrow morning.

The building we stayed in has been nicknamed "The Refrigerator."  We all now know why.  Bundled up in jeans, sweatshirt, and mummy sleeping bags, it was a long cold night.

2 am came so quickly. The air was crisp. My muscles were sore. My feet throbbing from blisters. Fingers difficult to bend from the cold. Head lamp on. Breath visible in the air, we took off for Cerro de Chirripó, hoping we would get to see the sunrise at the summit. I must admit, the stars at 2 am are incredible! I even saw two shooting stars.

After 2 hrs of up and down, rolling through the saddle pass to Chirripó, we had reached the base of the mountain.  The air was thin. It was cold. And I was tired. But adrenaline was running. We were so close!  With a 400 ft gain in elevation the ascent seemed to be straight up.  We scrambled, scaled, huffed, and puffed to the top.

At 4:26 am on July 3, 2011. I was second in my party to summit! I had made it!  This had to be one of the most difficult things I had done in a loooong time. Mentally, Physically I was drained. Take a look--


On the contrary, it was a huge accomplishment. I still have yet to fully process the thoughts that ran through my head.

Below are a few pictures from the early morning summit:

[Me at the summit of Chirripó!]

[Sunrise view from the top of Cerro Chirripó]

[3 July, 2011 P. Grant Larsen Minneapolis, MN--summited Cerro Chirripó]

Upon summiting we took a few pictures and headed back down. Fromt the summit we got to catch a little bit of the sunrise and were able to see the Carribean ocean! From there, the plan: summit, descend, and catch three buses back to Atenas--what a day.

But, what an amazing two days it was! I can now say I have climbed my first mountain; the tallest point in Costa Rica nonetheless.  My name is in the book and the feeling of accomplishment was amazing. Currently we are putting together a documentary video that captures our journey of Chirripó; be looking for that  and more photos soon!  Until then, I'll see you on the flip side.

** For more pictures of the trip click here and/ or take a look at my facebook page. Hope to hear from ya'll soon!

Blessings,

P. Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment