Monday, March 21, 2011

When the Devil Strikes.

To say the least myself and the other 4 interns had a great weekend.  Taking a half day on work to catch a bus to Manuel Antonio where we would spend the weekend walking through the rainforest spotting monkeys, sloths, exotic birds, butterflies, and seeing some amazing trees that have to be over 150 years old.


However, the excitement would only last so long.  After a relaxing, humid, sweaty, peaceful day at the beach and rainforest we headed back to our hostel room to shower, rest, and clean up before heading out to dinner to celebrate my belated birthday present from my parents, money to take us all out to dinner.  When we returned to our room and i approached our locker to grab some of my stuff it dawned on me. The lock was still locked, but the hinge and hardware which held the lock to the door had been forced open.

 
 It finally hit me.  When my Iphone, my Relix watch, my headphones, my Passport, my wallet (includes: license, debit card, insurance card, school i.d.'s), my camera, had all been taken.  He had searched through every pocket of our bags.  Two other interns had electronics and wallets taken as well.

I was in SHOCK. I can't even describe the feels I was feeling. It wasn't anger, it wasn't revenge.  It was a sensation of violation, disrespect, shock, questions like "why?", panic.

Having stolen more than $1000, a passport, a few debit/credit cards, licenses at the end of the day we were safe.  As I comptemplated what to do next and the shear utter anxiousness and violation we were reminded of Hebrews 10:32-39:


"But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so thatwhen you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. For,
Yet a little while, 
and the coming one will come and will not delay; 
but my righteous one shall live by faith,
and if he shrinks back, 
my soul has no pleasure in him.
But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls."
I could have responded with utter rage. I could have been enraged. I could have wanted revenge. But honestly, I didn't feel any of that. I was living. I was breathing. I had great friends, I had a God that was watching over me.  All that had been taken from me were THINGS. Things of this earth to be honest. Things I could replace very easily.  Material goods that quite honestly I was probably holding onto too tight.
After reading Hebrews I am reminded that our real treasures are up in Heaven. Our real hope in Christ our Lord.  In that, I have hope and faith in God's provision.
My father send me an email this morning that states, "Sorry to hear about your loss of things at the hostel.  God may be using this to have you lean on Him and rest in His provision."  What great words! To "rest in HIS provision." How often do I find peace and joy in the little that I have knowing that God will provide exactly what I need each and every day to do His will and not my own.
I cannot express more that through God's grace He has given me peace, insurance that He is in control.
I will note that I am on my way to the U.S. Embassy today with a police report and the few pieces of identification I have left.  I ask that you pray the process goes smoothly as it can be difficult sometimes processing this kind of thing in a foreign country.
God is teaching me something. He is growing me. I am learning to "lean on Him and rest in His provision."  When the Devil attacks will I cower? Or will I hand the pen of my life over to Jesus Christ and let Him script the story?  I can only trust and lean on the God of the universe and in that, I have peace.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. what a wild experience. I just cant even imagine what my trip would have been like if some of my stuff would have been taken. I'm praying for ya buddy. I have loved the blog and have been trying to keep up but as you can see I'm a few days behind. I know that God will work this for the good and I am amazed at how quickly you turned to him. I heard someone say once that a good guideline for judging maturity in a Christian is how quickly they go to God. You pass my friend. Thanks for encouraging me with this :) Remember who you are and what you stand for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great thoughts to read Grant. I love that through this you found scripture that shows how to look at the situation. God is so good! I am so proud to have you as my brother. I thank God that through this you have now been able to teach each one of us reading this a little bit more about what really matters in life. Praying for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete